Filing Your Self Assessment Tax Return

How to successfully file your tax return

Who needs to register as self-employed?

  • Self employed/freelancers
  • If your savings and investments are £10,000 or more (before tax)
  • If you have property income which is £2,500 or more
  • Dividends of £10,000 or more (before tax)
  • If you’re a company director
  • If you’re a partner in a partnership

If you are self-employed or a freelancer you need to make sure you check the following things before you start filing:

  • Check that you’re registered for Self-Assessment with the HMRC for tax which normally takes 20 days
  • Check the Tax year end
  • Check the Start and end date or financial year end which covers the tax year from 6th of April 2018 to 5th April 2019
  • Check the deadlines for filing your account. For example, for the year end 2018 the last day for online filing is 31st of 2019.
  • Make sure all the tax payable is paid to HMRC before the 31st of January of the following year
  • Make sure that you have enough funds to cover your taxes